Bug #1461

Issues with latest snapshot (panic)

Added by elekktretterr over 4 years ago. Updated over 4 years ago.

Status:ClosedStart date:
Priority:NormalDue date:
Assignee:-% Done:

0%

Category:-
Target version:-

Description

Hi,

Ive been trying to install the latest snapshot (22nd august) to a new HP
Proliant DL180 G5.

So far 4 issues:

1)
Installer spews upon trying to execute /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0s1
bs=32k count=16.

dd: /dev/da0s1: Read-Only Filesystem

But you seem to be able to choose "Skip" and it progresses further into
the install to setup partitions.

2)
when I go to setup networking in the "configuration" stage after the data
has been cpduped to the disk, i choose DHCP and the system panics upon
running dhclient bge0.

panic: bogus ife->ifm_data(10)

mii_phy_set_media(d02abd30) at mii_phy_set_media+0x8a
ukphy_service(d02abd30,c28c2b80,2) at ukphy_service+0xec

3) keyboard in the mountroot or gdb shell simply doesnt work. i tried PS/2
and USB keyboards. It doesnt work. Otherwise it works in a tcsh shell and
elsewhere.

4) The live cd panics when restarted. I cant get a screenshot or dump
because keyboard doesnt work.

Would be good if someone looked at this.

Thanks,
Petr

dmesg.txt Magnifier (45.2 KB) elekktretterr, 08/24/2009 06:27 AM

History

#1 Updated by sepherosa over 4 years ago

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM, <> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ive been trying to install the latest snapshot (22nd august) to a new HP
> Proliant DL180 G5.
> 2)
> when I go to setup networking in the "configuration" stage after the data
> has been cpduped to the disk, i choose DHCP and the system panics upon
> running dhclient bge0.
>
> panic: bogus ife->ifm_data(10)
>
> mii_phy_set_media(d02abd30) at mii_phy_set_media+0x8a
> ukphy_service(d02abd30,c28c2b80,2) at ukphy_service+0xec

Could you post the bootverbose dmesg? bge(4) normally should have
brgphy attached.

Best Regards,
sephe

#2 Updated by elekktretterr over 4 years ago

> Could you post the bootverbose dmesg? bge(4) normally should have
> brgphy attached.
>
> Best Regards,
> sephe
>

Which part are you looking for? Im gonna have to type it up.

Petr

#3 Updated by elekktretterr over 4 years ago

Managed to get the full verbose dmesg. Its attached to this email.

#4 Updated by matthias over 4 years ago

Moin,

* wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ive been trying to install the latest snapshot (22nd august) to a new HP
> Proliant DL180 G5.
>
> So far 4 issues:
>
> 1)
> Installer spews upon trying to execute /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0s1
> bs=32k count=16.
>
> dd: /dev/da0s1: Read-Only Filesystem
>
> But you seem to be able to choose "Skip" and it progresses further into
> the install to setup partitions.

I can confirm that. I just thought it was an issue on my side, pressed
"Skip" and forgot about the issue :) I can provide more information if
that's needed.

Cheers

Matthias

#5 Updated by elekktretterr over 4 years ago

> I can confirm that. I just thought it was an issue on my side, pressed
> "Skip" and forgot about the issue :) I can provide more information if
> that's needed.
>
> Cheers
>

I was wondering if this could have anything to do with not being able to
find HAMMER root partition. I skipped the error, finished the install and
rebooted and then mountroot complained that da0s1 cannot be found. However
because any keyboard refuses to work in mountroot and gdb shells I couldnt
really try anything else.

Petr

#6 Updated by elekktretterr over 4 years ago

> I was wondering if this could have anything to do with not being able to
> find HAMMER root partition. I skipped the error, finished the install and
> rebooted and then mountroot complained that da0s1 cannot be found. However
> because any keyboard refuses to work in mountroot and gdb shells I couldnt
> really try anything else.
>

Further update on this issue. It seems that for some strange reason, every
now and then mounting of the root file system during boot happens before
the initialization of cd0 (in case of livecd) or da0 (in case of DragonFly
already being installed on disk). This seems to happen randomly for
booting of the livecd, but happens constantly when booting of the hard
disk. After that, I cannot use a keyboard -> it seems that the system is
"stuck" and has to be reset.

Petr

#7 Updated by elekktretterr over 4 years ago

> Further update on this issue. It seems that for some strange reason, every
> now and then mounting of the root file system during boot happens before
> the initialization of cd0 (in case of livecd) or da0 (in case of DragonFly
> already being installed on disk). This seems to happen randomly for
> booting of the livecd, but happens constantly when booting of the hard
> disk. After that, I cannot use a keyboard -> it seems that the system is
> "stuck" and has to be reset.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this would be happening?

#8 Updated by matthias over 4 years ago

Hi,

* wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ive been trying to install the latest snapshot (22nd august) to a new HP
> Proliant DL180 G5.
>
> So far 4 issues:
>
> 1)
> Installer spews upon trying to execute /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0s1
> bs=32k count=16.
>
> dd: /dev/da0s1: Read-Only Filesystem
>
> But you seem to be able to choose "Skip" and it progresses further into
> the install to setup partitions.

I stumbled across this because I created the label with Linux fdisk
(which was installed before installing DragonFly). Do you installed
DragonFly on the whole disk or do you used a pre-partitioned HDD?

Cheers

Matthias

#9 Updated by elekktretterr over 4 years ago

> I stumbled across this because I created the label with Linux fdisk
> (which was installed before installing DragonFly). Do you installed
> DragonFly on the whole disk or do you used a pre-partitioned HDD?

Hi Mathias,

On the whole disk. As far as I know they have never been partitioned before.

Petr

#10 Updated by swildner over 4 years ago

Hmm, the "Read-only file system" message upon dd seems to be something new.

Last time I tried an ISO (August 15), this problem didn't occur. A current one
shows it here, too.

#11 Updated by swildner over 4 years ago

schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Ive been trying to install the latest snapshot (22nd august) to a new HP
> Proliant DL180 G5.
>
> So far 4 issues:

In general, it's not a good idea to put several issues into one report,
as it becomes increasingly difficult to see who is responding to which
of the sub-issues in our bug tracker.

Sascha

#12 Updated by swildner over 4 years ago

Closing this issue.

(1) is fixed by a2f6293fd245bd17fea42cddc69bc93d3c1def32, (2) by
a1678a342c788b812f22fbe83af6e76f7c586884, and two separate issues (1463 & 1464)
have been opened for (3) and (4).

Also available in: Atom PDF