panic: assertion "pv->pv_m == p" in pmap_remove_pv_pte
A recently-installed machine running a recent git (my hardware had problems with the current release) has been crashing frequently when X is running; it hasn't consistently provided a core dump (maybe I rebooted it too quickly?), but I have two of them (attached). The first (3) was with X running, the second (4) was when I tried to open firefox. Firefox does sometimes open successfully. The crashes are frequent enough I've been keeping it in console.
- Status changed from New to Closed
This computer just had an episode of all kinds of display corruption (some weird colors on the screen, letters garbled in firefox). I think this is likely a RAM problem. I haven't been able to get all the way through a memtest pass because this old laptop overheats; I'll probably try sticking the RAM in another computer to test it properly. Anyway, I'll reopen this if further investigation suggests it isn't a hardware fault but otherwise this can just be ignored.
- File Xorg.log.displaycorrupt added
- File dmesg.displaycorrupt added
- File messages.displaycorrupt added
Update: it doesn't seem to be my RAM after all -- I've tried running with either of my DIMMs removed, and the same display corruption occurred in either case. What I'm seeing is mainly letters being replaced with other letters, both in rxvt and firefox, starting soon (but not immediately) after I start up X. It usually locks up shortly after the corruption begins. It has started happening consistently with X running with xf86-video-intel. I'm trying vesa now; no problems so far.
I've attached some logs from after the display corruption begins, although I don't see anything unusual there.