Bug #1662

RFE: Change MTA in base system from Sendmail to Postfix.

Added by eocallaghan almost 5 years ago. Updated over 1 year ago.

Status:ClosedStart date:
Priority:LowDue date:
Assignee:-% Done:

0%

Category:-
Target version:-

Description

Many have changed from hard to configure and buggy Sendmail to Postfix including
NetBSD (Since 4.0), GNU/Linux etc..

Perhaps its time we follow suit.
I am sure this is open to all sorts of debate however I thought I would bring it
up to see what others have to say?
Its worth nothing that postfix has a sendmail wrapper.

Cheers,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postfix_(software)

History

#1 Updated by pavalos almost 5 years ago

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 08:21:14AM +0000, Edward O'Callaghan (via DragonFly issue tracker) wrote:
>
> New submission from Edward O'Callaghan <>:
>
> Many have changed from hard to configure and buggy Sendmail to Postfix including
> NetBSD (Since 4.0), GNU/Linux etc..
>
> Perhaps its time we follow suit.
> I am sure this is open to all sorts of debate however I thought I would bring it
> up to see what others have to say?
> Its worth nothing that postfix has a sendmail wrapper.
>

I disagree. I think our path should be switching to dma, and then
removing sendmail. If someone needs a more features in their MTA, they
can take their pick from pkgsrc.

--Peter

#2 Updated by steve almost 5 years ago

Hi,

It likely makes more sense to remove sendmail from the base and
make dma the default MTA since this should satsify most needs for an MTA,
and leave anyone wanting a more powerful MTA free rein.

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:21:14 +0000
"Edward O'Callaghan \(via DragonFly issue tracker\)"
<> wrote:

>
> New submission from Edward O'Callaghan <>:
>
> Many have changed from hard to configure and buggy Sendmail to Postfix
> including NetBSD (Since 4.0), GNU/Linux etc..
>
> Perhaps its time we follow suit.
> I am sure this is open to all sorts of debate however I thought I would
> bring it up to see what others have to say?
> Its worth nothing that postfix has a sendmail wrapper.
>
> Cheers,
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postfix_(software)
>
> ----------
> messages: 8081
> nosy: eocallaghan
> priority: wish
> status: unread
> title: RFE: Change MTA in base system from Sendmail to Postfix.
>
> _____________________________________________________
> DragonFly issue tracker <>
> <http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issue1662>
> _____________________________________________________

#3 Updated by dillon almost 5 years ago

Yah, DMA is the path, and then allow sendmail or postfix to be
selected via pkgsrc if the user desires a more heavy-weight solution.
That's why DMA was written, after all!

-Matt

#4 Updated by eocallaghan almost 5 years ago

Oh, well I was not sure if others where OK with that path, but yea ! Removal of
Sendmail in favor of DMA is a +1 from me too.

This would also result in a more secure default system and less for people to
maintain in the base system.

Cheers,
Edward.

#5 Updated by tuxillo over 1 year ago

  • Status changed from New to Closed
  • Assignee deleted (0)

Hi all,

Dropping sendmail in favour of dma(8) as our default MTA is now in the Projects page.

Cheers,
Antonio Huete

Also available in: Atom PDF