Bug #1486

Interrupt storm related to SATA DVD device

Added by hasso about 5 years ago. Updated about 5 years ago.

Status:NewStart date:
Priority:NormalDue date:
Assignee:-% Done:

0%

Category:-
Target version:-

Description

There is a constant interrupt storm in my HP Proliant DL360 G6 machine which
stops in two cases - if I disconnect the DVD device or mount a CD from it.

Verbose dmesg is available at
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~hasso/DL360-verbose-dmesg.txt

History

#1 Updated by elekktretterr about 5 years ago

Just looking at the dmesg, 16 cores? I thought those 1RU things can only
fit 2xquad core xeons?

Petr

>
> New submission from Hasso Tepper <>:
>
> There is a constant interrupt storm in my HP Proliant DL360 G6 machine
> which
> stops in two cases - if I disconnect the DVD device or mount a CD from it.
>
> Verbose dmesg is available at
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~hasso/DL360-verbose-dmesg.txt
>
> ----------
> messages: 7289
> nosy: hasso
> priority: bug
> status: unread
> title: Interrupt storm related to SATA DVD device
>
> _____________________________________________________
> DragonFly issue tracker <>
> <http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issue1486>
> _____________________________________________________
>

#2 Updated by ftigeot about 5 years ago

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 02:35:33AM +1000, wrote:
> Just looking at the dmesg, 16 cores? I thought those 1RU things can only
> fit 2xquad core xeons?
>
> > Verbose dmesg is available at
> > http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~hasso/DL360-verbose-dmesg.txt

These are Nehalem CPUs. They are quad-core, but with 2-way SMT.
4 cores, 2 threads per core => 8 virtual cores per socket.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/733-2/report-intel-nehalem-architecture.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_multithreading

#3 Updated by polachok about 5 years ago

Have you tried enabling APIC_IO? It can be better or worse.

#4 Updated by hasso about 5 years ago

Ühel kenal päeval (reede 04 september 2009) kirjutas Alexander Polakov
(via DragonFly issue tracker):
> Alexander Polakov <> added the comment:
>
> Have you tried enabling APIC_IO? It can be better or worse.

Worse. The storm is still there, but no CD device found - therefore no
workaround either :).

Also available in: Atom PDF